Friday, August 16, 2013

THE VIEW FROM MY HANDLEBARS

I probably cover about 30 miles a day or more just doing my daily routine....going from the place I park at night to the beach where I usually have coffee and breakfast, then to where I set up to paint, and then some days I have to go to do laundry or some other errand. Things are fairly spread out but I never mind the ride. Some days I just feel like riding to watch the scenery go by....kinda reminds me of when Rose and I had the trimaran and sailed it down the west coast of Florida...endless hours of lying in the nets and watching the coastline move slowly by, with only the sound of the ripples of water against the hull. Riding is like that sometimes...following the bike path that winds through the sand and just taking in the view....watching the beach move slowly past.

Nighttime can be especially sublime...there is a place where the bike path crosses a bridge over the river and then runs along the levee with the river on one side and the harbor entrance on the other....lights reflecting off the water everywhere. During the morning the fog creates a cool mist on my face. Travel by bicycle is kind of the perfect mode in some ways....fast enough to actually make some distance, but slow enough to really see the sights you are moving through. Pulling the gypsy caravan behind me, I get ongoing greetings and thumbs up from passers by. It's a bike friendly community and some of the friendliest people I've met anywhere...maybe its the warm weather.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barry, very poetic, I agree with, "Travel by bicycle is kind of the perfect mode in some ways....fast enough to actually make some distance, but slow enough to really see the sights you are moving through." Any chance of seeing a couple of drawings on how you put the caravan together? I am sure many would like to see?? Be carefull out there I have been really some really bad stuff about LAPD.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading some really bad stuff about LAPD....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard lots of bad stuff about them too....but the guys i've met are sweet as pie. Nicest cops I've every met...

    ReplyDelete