Tuesday, August 13, 2013

THE POPCORN MONKEY HOUSE PUPPET SHOW...

Cruisin toward Santa Monica

One of the cool things about living in the micro caravan is that when my shade is pulled down, I can see out, but nobody can see in...and people tend to assume that it's empty, so I get to hear all the interesting and candid comments. Before I put on the signage I had a lot of passersby saying things like, "what is that?" and "I think it's a popcorn machine" or, "It's a puppet show" or "is there a monkey in there?"

Now I hear most of them read the traveling artist sign but still, some don't bother to read it and continue to guess what it is. Overall, though, I get nearly unanimously positive comments. People seem to love that someone is doing something different in life, and when I say I live in it, often a look of disbelief comes over them and then they smile....home, art studio and gallery in 12 square feet. As I settle into my routines of making the caravan my home I am pretty pleased at how well it works out. I set up my kitchen in the morning on the little table that hangs on the side and make coffee and english muffins, then breakfast is usually oatmeal with bananas and dried cranberries, then a simple clean up, put away the stove and I'm ready to go set up and paint somewhere. Today I am trying out Santa Monica down by the boardwalk. My paintings are set up and the day started slowly so I decided to sit in the caravan and work on my blog for this week.....one nice feature of this area is there is wifi here in the park. Two lovely girls from Scotland just bought a miniature from me and that makes the day even nicer. Lots of cool people are beginning to stop by...some to comment on the art and some to look at the caravan. I think I'm gonna like Santa Monica.

 

3 comments:

  1. Charming! Thank you for taking the time to share your peripatetic life with folks like me. May angels attend you.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. useful idea: perhaps the passersby will leave bananas to add to your cranberry 'n' oatmeat if you make but a few monkey sounds

    which brings to mind: omitted from my "filmography" i recited last sunday was an episode from (do you remember the t.v. series?) "bj and the bear" -- on cue, our marching band had to SCATTER!!! as we were invaded by an marauding motorcycle gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deb. And thank you Eric for your always illuminating commentary.

    ReplyDelete