Wednesday, July 24, 2013

STEALTH CAMPING OFF THE BIKE TRAIL

After leaving Lake Elsinore at the crack of dawn and the bike as loaded as possible, I passed through Murrietta, Temecula, and then headed west through Rainbow Canyon. I was pulling a long fairly steep hill, (at least it seemed that way to not-too-in-shape-me at the time) and I pulled over for a beverage break. I happened to stop at the top of a trailhead so, exploring a bit, I found a nice flat clearing off below the trail beneath some small trees at the base of a huge boulder. What the hell, I says, that's a pretty good start for my first day...and besides, it was starting to get hot, even though it was only 10AM. So I bushwacked down to the spot with my bike and set up my camp, spending the day kicked back and delighting in the few breezes that blew through the tent.
Early next morning I was packed up and pedaling toward Fallbrook. I arrived at Live Oak Park, chose a picnic table and made coffee and soft-boiled eggs and a bowl of oatmeal...topped up my water supplies and pedaled off again. It was a day of warrior training...long grades but beautiful scenery. I rode all day, eventually coming to the bike path along the river that leads all the way to Oceanside, and the coast. I pulled off on a little dirt road and found a beautiful little spot to camp in the trees, set up my tent and collapsed in it. Decided to stay another day, get the bike better organized, have a bath, and eat a lot...and rest my aching legs. It's been an awesome day in an awesome spot as I write this from my tent. Had to take a break to tie my trash bag to a long line because a squirrel keeps trying to steal it. Tomorrow morning it's off to the Pacific Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment