Monday, October 21, 2013

A DAY IN VENICE

Awoke this morning to a thick, wet, grey sky. Everything was drippy wet and visibility about 10 feet. I climbed out of the caravan and began wiping down the bike seat, handlebars, and the awning before i rolled it up for travel. Then I pedaled over to my spot at the Lagoon. Definitely the wettest, foggiest morning I have seen here so far. I parked the caravan, climbed in, pulled down the shade and lit the stove. The place warms up in about 15 seconds or less with the stove going. Made some more coffee and English muffins. It's so thick outside I can't see the Lagoon, which is about 20 feet away. I won't be going outside to paint until things change and the sun comes out. My friend Ethan would. He'd be out in it. He would be out there painting even if it was raining, or snowing, or there was a blizzard. Hell, he'd probably paint underwater. But he's from Seattle and doesn't know any better. Here in Southern California, people start complaining about the bitter cold when they have to put on a light sweater and change outta their flip-flops. I feel absolutely no shame in admitting that I am a weather weenie. If it's not sunny outside I am quite content to stay inside by some heat source and drink coffee and wait for the sun to shine. You can't really do that in Seattle. You probably have to wait until the Earth tilts on it's axis for a nice day there. I dunno, I've never really been there....too cold. Sitting inside my little caravan, dry and warm, makes me think of the homeless people who are sleeping outside, and who woke up, probably while it was still dark, wet and cold to the bone. I feel great compassion for them and very grateful that I have this dry, warm cozy space.

Suzanne in front of her gypsy camper

Yesterday was quite a day. I rode to Venice Beach to do laundry and stopped to meet Suzanne, who I had been told about before. She lives in a very beautiful gypsy-style camper...all wood and scalloped shingles, with her six rescue cats. She is the Suzanne who inspired the Leonard Cohen song. I pulled up with the caravan and we became instant friends. She didn't feed me tea and oranges that come all the way from China, but she did offer me brandy which I gratefully accepted. While there, I met several other interesting people who are friends of hers...some Italian girls, a woman who makes films, and a retired sea captain who is 83. He is a clear-eyed, dapper fellow and another person who had many stories and adventures, but not the sort that reveals them without being asked. Earlier that day, as I was parked by the beach and making oatmeal, I met another 83 year old man. I nearly fell over when he told me his age. I never would have guessed him to be that old. He is a silk screen artist who lives up in a little artist community in Oregon and was down here visiting his daughter. I asked him how he likes being 83 and his immediate reply was, "I love it." Made me smile and gives me a glimpse of what life can be like for a man in his 80's. It was a day that was filled with people and conversation. As I started to head back to Playa del Rey, and my parking spot for the night, the caravan blew a tire...the second one this week. Both of them were old and had many miles on them so I guess it was just their time. I unhitched the bike and rode down to Manny's bike shop, getting there just before he closed. Got a new tire, and a spare to carry, and rode back and changed the blown tire. It was dark by the time I arrived back at my parking spot, but I felt full from the day. Venice Beach is a town full of interesting characters living unusual lives. It's enriching and inspiring to meet folks who have not just followed the beat of a different drummer, but who have created their own beat to dance to. I feel that, individual by individual, i am finding my tribe here.

To read more about the amazing Suzanne, follow this link: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/verdal.html

 

4 comments:

  1. Barry, I absolutely love your posts and your writing style, not to mention your art work!!! I could feel every minute of your wonderful day just reading the story. And I want to meet this Suzanne person!

    Hopefully, I will make it down to the beach in the next week or so (I can't believe I haven't gotten back there since that night I met you when I stopped you along the creek - and I was so excited to get to see the caravan!). I will call you to see where your stationed beforehand. Cheers! Dany (An'Friends)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edit: "I will call to see where you're (not "your", tsk) stationed beforehand." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is beautiful and inspiring. I think I may be a fellow tribeswoman of you and the people you describe. But I am on the East Coast. I have an urgent (to me) question: Your posts seem to imply that people can openly camp for free on this Venice Beach without getting hassled by the police and other authorities? Is that true? Is there a stable gypsy community there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not exactly....i wouldn't call it a stable gypsy community...lots of homeless in various states of existence. no, you can't camp openly and the police are a factor...there is one area where the homeless are allowed to sleep at night between 9pm and 6am but it's not considered always safe. i spent much of my time camped along the balona creek in a couple of areas i found...stealthy though....if you want to be here, there are ways but nothing really legal or organized...a stable gypsly community would be wonderful...it's pretty much chaos here....camping on the beach is always a bust.

      Delete