Tuesday, May 6, 2014

SWEET DREAMZ AND CRASHING WAVES

Lately I have been parking the caravan down along the beach at night. The sound of waves crashing on the beach is the soundtrack to my dreams. It's hard to imagine a more peaceful place to sleep. Summer is definitely drawing near with warm nights and warm, even a few hot days now. The mornings have been so beautiful lately that I have even started my day, (after coffee of course,) with a swim in the ocean. It always leaves me feeling exhilarated and blissfully alive.

WINDOW ROCK by Barry Howard

My days and weeks have settled into a routine of sorts here in Venice...after the sun comes up and breakfast is done I roll down to my spot on the boardwalk and set up my paintings and my easel and spend the early part of the day working on new pieces. I am really enjoying these small paintings. I usually finish two or three a day and put them in the drying box, (which is really a pizza box, but hey, it works perfectly). I always look forward to opening the box the next day and seeing what I did with a fresh eye. I am told by the other artists that soon the tourists will come and sales will pick up....as it is, it seems I have survived the long, moderate winter of Southern California.

In the evening, after the art show on the boardwalk, I pedal down to my favorite tree and make my dinner, have a beer and maybe read for awhile. Then I head over to the cafe on Pier St. to do my computer stuff over a pot of peppermint tea. Finally I roll on back to the beach for the night. Weekends are a bit rowdier than the rest of the week. Tonight as I write this, the Doors cover band is in full swing at the nearby bar, and the party people have left the beach and are now being raucous and drunk along the beachwalk. Down the beach there are fireworks going off...probably to celebrate Cinch de Mayo. Myself, I am quietly settled into the caravan, happy to have a refuge from the roudiness of the weekend circus that is Venice Beach.

NIGHTWAVES by Barry Howard

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,
    I always look forward to your latest post. Glad to read that you are enjoying Life the way that you choose to live it. These posts are like booster shots of encouragement as I set out on my journey to find myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx Cutter....happy that you are following along on my journey!

      Delete
  2. your photo of yourself in your gipsy caravan in black & white is really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS, that black and white photo was done by a photographer who happened by who goes by the moniker, Ben Hur....i agree...great photo

      Delete