Monday, May 1, 2017

INTO THE DESERT

DESERT HIGHWAY 5"x7" oil on panel. SOLD

Driving east on highway 10, I was still basking in the afterglow of my camp out in the chuckwalla mountains.  I relaxed, played some guitar, soaked up the sun and got quite a bit of painting done as well.  I worked on some of my miniatures, inspired by the rock formations, the desert vistas and the warm earth colors...

EVENING LIGHT 5"x7" oil on panel $30 plus shipping

My next stop; El Dorado Hot Springs,  a regular stop off of mine whenever I am traveling highway 10.  I discovered the place by pure serendipity several years ago.  I had been traveling through the heat of the desert summer and I was hot and dry and a cold beer sounded really good. I took an exit that advertised a gas station and a country style cafe.  It seemed promising.  The cafe wasn't open but I noticed a small wooden sign that said "Hot Springs" with an arrow so I decided a shower and a warm soak sounded like a decent substitute for a cold beer...a short way down the road I found a cool and funky place that featured a variety of tubs and pools, rooms and microhouses that could be rented as well as campsites.  It is a great place to relax and refresh after a long drive through the desert. 

RED EARTH 5"x7" oil on panel $30 plus shipping

While I was camping in the chuckwalla mountains I got in touch with a long-time friend who, as it happened, was heading west on highway 10 as I was heading east, so we agreed to meet at the hot springs and share a campsite.  We had a great visit, shared some food and beers and next morning, fully refreshed, I went continued east and he went west.  My next destination was Tucson to visit my sister.  She had just bought a house there and I arrived in time to help move boxes and furniture.  We had a great time catching up, and I was able to get some more painting done.

DRIFTING AWAY 5"x7" oil on panel $30 plus shipping

From Tucson I headed south toward the quirky little copper mining town of Bisbee.  I lived in Bisbee briefly, several years ago, loved the place and have wanted to return ever since.  So Bisbee here I come...

(The little paintings pictured were done on my trip from the coast to the desert.  They are painted on artist grade gessoed Masonite.  They come with a miniature display easel.  They are available unless marked sold.)

No comments:

Post a Comment