Friday, October 4, 2013

A VERY SERIOUS ISSUE...

Today was laundry day, so I rode to Santa Monica to my favorite internet coin-op, Bubble Beach Landromat. After I was done, I realized I hadn't eaten and so decided to get something at Perry's, which has to be one of the most pleasant places to eat breakfast ever. I ordered something huge at the counter and then carried it back to the Adirondack chairs under the umbrella and stuck my bare feet in the sand.

The seating at Perry's

From there I could enjoy my breakfast and look out at the palm trees and the previously mentioned women's bikini soccer team practice...only they weren't there today. Instead, there was a group of people practicing Capoeira, and this brings me to the subject of today's post. I have to admit something at the risk of alienating some of my Facebook friends...some may even de-friend me but, nevertheless, I must be honest and speak my truth...and that is, I really don't like Capoeira...there it is, I've said it! In fact, I don't even like watching it. I think exercise that is done outside in public should be beautiful to watch...sexy even, and Capoeira always looks kind of awkward and unnatural....like people who have rubber bands holding their joints together....kind of like watching Josh Blue do the Robot...just not very attractive. So I have been thinking that I should start a Facebook page with an online petition to ban the public practice of Capoeira because it's just unattractive. Now kickboxing, on the other hand, or pole dancing, (especially pole dancing,) can be very pleasant to watch and yet for some reason you don't see people practicing it on the beach...and this brings me to the subject of today's post....Why isn't pole dancing being taught in girl's High School Gym class? It is certainly something that every young woman should know and builds health, strength, and flexibility easily as much as any Yoga class. Unfortunately, this is an all-too-obvious example of how public education is failing our young women. In today's uncertain economy and competitive job market women need something they can fall back on, and pole dancing would be the perfect solution. Besides the fitness aspect, it would allow a young woman to become an entrepreneur without the need to spend a lot of money on clothing for the corporate world. One quick trip to Victoria's Secret and a shoe store and a motivated young woman could be taking home several hundred dollars a night in her underwear. In fact, I think I may start a Facebook page with an online petition to make pole dancing a mandatory part of the high school curriculum. Well friends, I promise that my next blog post will get back to my usual art and bicycle gypsy wagon subject matter, but I just had to take a moment to address something that I feel is simply part of being a good citizen. I feel very strongly about education, so I had to speak up. We all must do our part.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I've been enjoying your postings, and have a similar set of interests.

    I was just wondering how you like the gypsy wagon plus bike in comparison with the tent plus bike. Does the gypsy wagon have distinct advantages for bike travel and camping, in comparison to a tent? The tent would make the whole setup lighter and more mobile; but I am wondering if you have found that the wagon has advantages of its own....

    ReplyDelete
  2. the caravan is more of a home that is all set up...storage, stove built in, and i don't have to ride until i find a spot to set up a tent, i only need a place to park, climb in and i'm home. it's dryer than a tent too. but i am staying on the 22 mile bike path in L.A. the caravan doesn't do as well in traffic, hills or headwinds as a loaded bike. it also doesn't go offroad very well. but i can paint and sell my work out of it and carry lots of art and art supplies with me. i love tent camping too, but it depends on what you want to do as to which is better.

    ReplyDelete