Friday, August 9, 2013

PLAYA DEL REY LAGOON

I spent most of the day along the beach in an area I refer to as the "quiet side". From the place where I like to park at night, along the bike path, I can either go north in the morning, toward Starbucks and Venice Beach or I can go South along the broad quiet beaches of Playa Del Rey and the little string of beach towns that the bike path meanders through. Venice is where all the action is, and sometimes it's a bit too much action for me, so I opt for the peaceful beaches to the south, as I did today. I had quite a productive day, getting the caravan organized and outfitted more as a working art studio than it has been. I fixed my easel so I can set it up most anywhere, even inside the caravan, and made a way to hang it on the wall when I'm done for the day. I got all my brushes in holders so they are always close at hand, paints and mediums all ready to go. Even though it's quieter on the south end, I still attract lots of attention and end up having really interesting conversations with people who stop by...and unlike Venice, I am meeting more local people here.
Stopped for lunch at the Playa del Rey lagoon
One lovely woman told me about the lagoon that is only two blocks away from the beach. She said that people love the lagoon and that there are lots of cool things to paint. So, having had plenty of sun and feeling ready to shift gears and make some dinner somewhere shady and sheltered from the afternoon wind, I pedaled inland and found the promised lagoon. I parked the caravan under an overhanging tree and explored around a bit....lots of stuff to paint and just a very tranquil and quiet place with people out and about enjoying the beauty. I made some dinner on my little stove and watched the egrets and squirrels and felt grateful to have discovered this little spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment